Previously dormant 300-million-year-old fault lines across Oklahoma are being “reawakened” by recent small earthquakes that have been previously linked to fracking, scientists reported in a new study out this week.
The Mail Online reports: Fault lines dating back hundreds of millions of years in Oklahoma that have been recently reactivated could lead to a devastating quake in the state where many structures were not built to withstand major seismic activity, a report said.
The state, which has seen several hundred seismic events over the past five years, has ‘a high degree of potential earthquake hazards,’ according to the study accepted for publication this month whose authors include researchers from the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS).
‘The majority of the recent earthquakes in central Oklahoma define reactivated ancient faults at shallow depths in the crust’ of less than 3.7 miles (6 km), said the report for the American Geophysical Union.
The report did not look at whether the reactivation of the faults was linked to the energy extraction technique known as hydraulic fracturing, or fracking.
However, USA Today, reported that previous research has identified hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, as being behind 3,600 small earthquakes in Oklahoma from 2009 – 2014.
Daniel McNamara, one of the paper’s authors and a research geophysicist at USGS, said on Tuesday the 300 million-year-old subsurface faults that had not been active are suspected to be associated with the recent seismic activity.
‘Any one of these fault zones that are producing magnitude 3 or 4 earthquakes could rupture into a larger earthquake. There are as many as 12 different fault zones that are capable of producing a large, 5 to 6 magnitude earthquake,’ he said.
In November 2011, Oklahoma suffered a 5.6 magnitude quake that damaged more than a dozen homes and several businesses.
Latest posts by Carol Adl (see all)
- Ireland Bans Onshore Fracking - June 29, 2017
- Vatican Cardinal Charged With Multiple Sex Assaults On Minors - June 29, 2017
- Final Grenfell Tower Death Toll Won’t Be Known Until 2018 - June 28, 2017