Memex, a powerful new search engine, is able to see things on the internet that Google has been unable to see. It will be able to search the entire internet including the hidden or deep web.
It is estimated that Google only sees 5% of the internet that exists, leaving a further 95% unseen. Memex is able to see the rest of the hidden internet, which has been developed by the U.S military’s Defence Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA).
The inventor of Memex, Chris White, sat down with Stahl and Bar-On and explained how Memex works–and how it could revolutionize law enforcement investigations. (See Chris White’s demonstration in the video player above.)
“The internet is much, much bigger than people think,” White said. “By some estimates Google, Microsoft Bing, and Yahoo only give us access to around 5% of the content on the Web.” That leaves a lot of room for bad actors to operate freely in the shadows.
White says that Memex goes far beyond the realm of traditional search engines and gives law enforcement a powerful new tool to search the “dark web,” where criminals buy, sell, and advertise in the illegal weapons trade and sex trafficking.
“The easiest way to think about Memex is: How can I make the unseen seen?” said Dan Kaufman, director of the information innovation office at DARPA.
“Most people on the internet are doing benign and good things,” Kaufman said. “But there are parasites that live on there, and we take away their ability to use the internet against us– and make the world a better place.”
Latest posts by Sean Adl-Tabatabai (see all)
- FBI: Wassermann Schultz Aide Sold Classified Intel To Enemy Governments - August 21, 2017
- Spanish Judge Issues Arrest Warrant For Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu - August 21, 2017
- Google Working With Democratic Groups To Purge Libertarian Websites - August 21, 2017