John Kasich could end up serving as vice president for billionaire businessman Donald Trump.
Kasich dropped out of the presidential race after struggling to gain traction against the Republican front-runner.
With the Ohio Governor and his ally, Texas Senator Ted Cruz, out of the race, Trump told CNN on Wednesday that he would “be interested in vetting John.”
According to Press TV: The real estate mogul, whose sweeping victories during the primaries have forced other Republican candidates to give up the race, noted that Kasich could even be “helpful” as the Ohio governor.
“I like John, I’ve had a good relationship with John, I’ve gotten along with him well,” he added.
Meanwhile, Kasich was set to officially end his campaign, according to various sources speaking to US media outlets.
The GOP front-runner had previously attacked the governor over the fashion in which he eats, which he described as “disgusting.”
“Did you see him? He has a news conference all the time when he’s eating. I have never seen a human being eat in such a disgusting fashion,” Trump said during a rally in Rhode Island last month.
Trump’s insults against him continued up to last week.
We revealed in March that Trump was planning on choosing competitor John Kasich as his running mate.
Mr Trump and Mr Kasich had a meeting in October 2015 where they discussed the election moving forward. Trump straight-out asked his opponent if he would consider being his running mate.
We were told that in that meeting, though Kasich and Trump committed to nothing official, they agreed that if Trump took the lead, Kasich would jump on board
Trump has Kasich on standby – they will discuss when to announce their joint ticket very soon – and then everyone will know that this has been the plan all along.