Lord Sewel will not face charges over drug-related offences due to a lack of evidence, despite being caught on film.
The disgraced peer will not be prosecuted after Scotland Yard said today a video showing him apparently snorting cocaine with two sex workers was ‘insufficient evidence’.
In the film he used a £5 note to snort a powder he referred to as ‘coca cola’, (a name sometimes used for cocaine) from a table and a prostitute’s breasts.
London’s Metropolitan Police said in a statement they had closed their criminal investigation.
The Independent reports: The scandal-hit peer resigned from the Lords after coming under intense pressure over footage of him allegedly taking cocaine with two prostitutes.
The former Labour minister – the first peer to stand down in disgrace following new rules introduced last year allowing resignations from the upper house –apologised for the “pain and embarrassment” caused by the drugs and sex scandal, which was exposed in The Sun on Sunday.
Scotland Yard said in a statement: “Following a review of all the material, including a forensic examination of an address in central London, there is insufficient evidence to proceed with this investigation and the matter is now closed.”
The married 69-year-old quit his £84,500-a-year role as deputy speaker of the Lords and chairman of the Lords Privileges and Conduct Committee, then quit Parliament altogether.
Latest posts by Niamh Harris (see all)
- UNICEF: More Than 5,000 Children Killed By Saudi Arabia’s War On Yemen - January 17, 2018
- Tillerson Vows To Keep US Military Forces In Syria - January 17, 2018
- Trump: ‘Very Possible’ That Tensions With North Korea Won’t Be Resolved Peacefully - January 17, 2018