It appears that recent calls by the Republican presidential candidate, Donald Trump, to ban the entry of all Muslims to the U.S. is being implemented at U.K. airports.
A growing number of Muslim families have recently been denied entry to the U.S. without just cause.
A British Muslim family of 11, from north east London, were stopped on their way to a planned family trip to Disneyland, California. American Homeland Security stopped 9 children and two adults and revoked their visas at the departure gate of Gatwick airport.
The Mahmood family and others believe that the policy of barring Muslims from America is in force and is now being openly implemented, while the media and the politicians maintain a sense of false outrage at Donald Trump’s Islamophobic proposals.
The Telegraph reports:
Ajmal Masroor said he had been prevented from boarding a New York-bound flight last week at the last minute and had heard of 20 other similar cases.
He said the issue had been occurring for some time, but checks appeared to have become more strict in recent weeks as the US presidential race has been overshadowed by the Mr Trump’s controversial proposal to prevent extremist attacks.
David Cameron was urged to intervene in the case of a British Muslim family who were last week prevented from flying to the United States for a visit to Disneyland.
Stella Creasy, MP for Walthamstow, wrote to the Prime Minister urging him to press American authorities on what she says is a growing problem of British Muslims being barred from the US without explanation.
She said there is “growing fear” among British Muslims that aspects of Trump’s plans are becoming reality, even though they have been widely condemned. She warned that some Muslims believe the public condemnation of Trump’s position “contrasts with what is going on in practice.”
Mr Masroor, from North London, said: “I’m aware of at least 20 other cases where families are afraid to even speak out.”
He said the bans had been handed down for some time, but they appeared to have got more common in recent weeks. He said he believed Mr Trump’s proposal was affecting America’s approach to Muslims travelling to the country.
In his own case he was told he could not travel despite having a valid business visa that he had used before earlier this year. He was not given a reason why he could not board the Virgin Atlantic flight from Heathrow, but claimed other passengers who were wearing Islamic clothing were also questioned by security officials.
He said: “We would all be amenable to hearing a reason for the decision, but without any reason, you are just in the dock.”
Mohammad Tariq Mahmood, 41, his brother and their children, aged between eight and 19, were stopped at the departure gate at Gatwick airport last week and told their visas had been revoked on the orders of American Homeland Security.
He is now trying to claim £11,000 compensation for the family’s unused tickets. He said: “I respect these people need to react if there is a genuine concern but they need to make sure this concern is genuine.
“They need to check our backgrounds, check our accounts and check our businesses before they react like that. They can’t react like that just because we are muslim.
“We are decent people. My kids are obviously upset. They know why it happened and they know what is going on in the world.
They were given no explanation why their ESTA visas, organised six weeks before the flight, were cancelled.
“It could be because of Donald Trump as why otherwise would all of this spring up on us.”
The American embassy in London has yet to comment.
Latest posts by Edmondo Burr (see all)
- Bees Attack In California, 6 People Hospitalized - September 19, 2017
- Trump Calls North Korean Leader Kim Jong Un “Rocket Man” - September 18, 2017
- China Urges US Diplomacy Not War With North Korea - September 18, 2017