The Home Office has launched an official investigation into the death of a detainee at immigration detention centre Yarl Wood.
A man suffered a cardiac arrest early on Monday morning who had been held at the detention for two months after arriving with his wife to the UK from India. He was detained despite having the correct visa.
A man suffered a cardiac arrest at about 9am this morning, according to a spokesman for the East of England Ambulance service.
He added: “We were called to reports at about 9.30 this morning of a man in his 30s suffering a cardiac arrest. He was unconscious when the ambulance crew arrived who did their best to revive him but he was declared dead at the scene.”
A Home Office spokesman said a full independent investigation will be conducted by the prisons and probation ombudsman.
He added: ” Our thoughts are with the family at this very sad time. As is the case with any death in the immigration detention estate, the police have been informed and a full independent investigation will be conducted by the Prisons and Probation Ombudsman.”
Bedfordshire on Sunday spoke to a detainee inside Yarl’s Wood who said everyone in her unit is upset and distressed for the man’s wife, who is also in detention. The recently bereaved widow has reportedly been offered ‘full support’ from public services.
The Yarl’s Wood detainee told BoS: “We are all very upset for her because we are close here. We aren’t allowed to speak to her because we are in a different unit. He collapsed after breakfast this morning and an ambulance was called.”
The source said the couple- believed to be from India- arrived in Yarl’s Wood two months ago and were due to be released tomorrow. This is yet to be confirmed.
A spokesman from Serco said: “Sadly a male resident at Yarl’s Wood Immigration Removal Centre died this morning of natural causes. Our thoughts are with his family.”
Latest posts by Sean Adl-Tabatabai (see all)
- Emmanuel Macron: France Would Leave EU If Referendum Held - January 21, 2018
- Arms Watchdog Finds ISIS Weapons Were Supplied Exclusively By US & Saudi Arabia - January 21, 2018
- Missing Tapes Reveal Israeli Plot To Kill Six Million Germans By Poisoning Water Supply - January 21, 2018