A huge manhunt is on the way in Essex after a man in his 20’s was shot to death at close range outside the four-star Marriott Hotel in Waltham Abbey.
Police have launched a murder inquiry and are not treating the killing as a terrorist act.
Guardian Series reports:
Officers were alerted just before 9.50am that a man had been seen with a gun and shots were being fired in the car park of the Marriott Hotel on Old Shire Lane.
Police attended and a man, believed to be in his 20s was found injured.
The road remains closed at the junction of Honey Lane.
Ambulance paramedics treated the victim but he was sadly declared dead at the scene.
Armed officers have secured the location and detectives are currently speaking to witnesses to establish the exact circumstances of what happened.
No-one has been arrested at this time and enquiries are ongoing.
Essex Police are also liaising with the Metropolitan Police and other surrounding police forces.
Chief Superintendent Luke Collison said: “Essex Police has mobilised a number of officers including armed units in response to this incident.
“At this time there is no evidence to suggest that there is any threat to the wider public or any link to terrorism.
“We will be constantly reassessing the information we receive as the investigation progresses to ensure that the safety of the public remains paramount.
“If anyone was at the hotel or in the area of Old Shire Lane area at the time of the shooting and has information of use to our enquiry I would urge them to contact us on 101.”
According to The Telegraph, the victim managed to drive to a nearby pub:
The four-star hotel, which boasts a swimming pool and fitness centre, is close to the M25 motorway.
— Aaron Manning (@DarrenAaron1) December 8, 2015
Caroline Jenkins, director of sales at the hotel, said: “We are working with the police on an incident that occurred this morning.”
Rob Chapman, landlord of the Woodbine Inn, said he was told that the victim was initially shot in the hotel car park, but managed to drive to the nearby Volunteer pub before he died.
He said he was told: “It started at the Marriott Hotel, then he got in this couple’s car, got shot again and ended up in the car park of the Volunteer.”
Staff at the Volunteer were referring queries to their head office, who had no comment to make.
Residents spoke of their shock after hearing about the shooting.
One woman, who did not want to be named, said: “I was walking back past the hotel and it must have been just after it happened because the police were shutting off the road.
“I thought someone had been run over, I never thought it would be a shooting. It’s a bit frightening that the guy is still out there, I’ve double locked all my doors.”
Another resident, who also did not want to be named, said: “This is a lovely town and a nice area, we never get any sort of trouble. I was so shocked when I heard what had happened, it’s awful.
“They haven’t caught the killer either so I’m staying locked in my house tonight.”
Latest posts by Edmondo Burr (see all)
- Saudi Linked Group Gave DUP $1/2M During Brexit - February 28, 2017
- Bomb Threats In U.S. Trigger Evacuation Of Jewish Centers - February 27, 2017
- Abu Sayyaf Beheads German Hostage Jurgen Kantner - February 27, 2017