The US are expanding airstrikes in Afghanistan due to a rebounding Taliban insurgency, senior U.S. and defense officials have said.
The White House has agreed the plan for more air strikes, which will likely affect the timeline of withdrawal for the 9,800 US troops currently stationed there.
Despite his claims to reduce the American military presence in Afghanistan, President Barack Obama approved a request from his war commander to more aggressively attack Taliban fighters as the group regains strength, more than 15 years after the U.S. first invaded the country.
“In every step of our review of Afghanistan, the question of what’s the best way to use our forces is something we’re constantly looking at. It’s also in the same sense that we’re looking at the number of troops. We are always looking at the authorities question and the best use of our troops,” Pentagon press secretary Peter Cook said Thursday.
Reuters also cited an anonymous senior US defense official in a report released late Thursday that claimed President Obama had already approved expanding the airstrikes, though the official clarified, “This is not a blanket order to target the Taliban.”
Both the current top US commander in Afghanistan, Gen. John Nicholson, and his predecessor, Gen. John Campbell, who was replaced in March, have advocated for increases in US troop numbers in discussions with Defense Secretary Ash Carter, according to AP.
While no precise plan has been outlined, the news comes on the same day a military watchdog spoke on the languishing effort to rebuild the war-torn country.
“The bottom line is too much has been wasted in Afghanistan. Too much money was spent in too small a country with too little oversight,” the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction, or SIGAR, John Sopko, told Reuters earlier Thursday.
“And if the security situation continues to deteriorate, even areas where money was spent wisely and gains were made, could be jeopardized,” Sopko added.
Unless the new plan changes the Obama administration’s troop withdrawal schedule, over 40 percent of the 9,800 US troops in Afghanistan before a new president is sworn in next January.
Of the $113 billion appropriated by Congress for Afghan reconstruction in the last 15 years, some 60 percent was spent on equipment and training for Afghan security forces, Reuters reported. Sopko could not say whether the money was spent effectively.
According to the latest SIGAR report published in April, funding also went towards the country’s agricultural industry, reportedly encompassing over half of Afghanistan’s workforce, as well as banking, law, infrastructure, new industries and repelling the drug trade.
Latest posts by Carol Adl (see all)
- Hamas Accuses Israel Of Assassinating Senior Commander In Gaza - March 25, 2017
- DEA Approves Synthetic Marijuana For Big Pharma - March 25, 2017
- Pentagon: US Troops Will Stay In Iraq After Fight Against ISIS Ends - March 24, 2017