Police were last night ordered to reveal why they let a paedophile teacher carry on working for two years despite knowing he had bought sick child sex videos.
Fury was sparked after it emerged detectives did not act immediately on a tip-off over Martin Goldberg’s sick activities.
It later emerged that Goldberg was also secretly filming young boys in his care undressing in school changing rooms.
The two-year delay may have allowed the maths tutor at £10,000-a-year Thorpe Hall School in Southend to continue feeding his perversions unhindered.
Keith Vaz, chairman of the Home Affair Committee, yesterday wrote to Keith Bristow, head of the National Crime Agency, ordering him to reveal why a file on Goldberg sent by Canadian police in July 2012 was not handed straight to local detectives.
“Given the nature of the material and the public concern there has been over a number of years, it is totally unacceptable that there appears to be such a delay in acting upon the information received from Canada,” the MP said.
He added: “We need categorical assurances that the lack of action from the relevant bodies has not left any vulnerable children at risk from further attacks and abuse.”
The MP voiced his outrage after it emerged that Goldberg, 46, from Shoeburyness had amassed a stash of more than 1,500 videos and photographs of his young pupils undressing, some dating back to 2000. It is thought he used a camera hidden in a sports bag.
Essex police only discovered the haul last month after Goldberg killed himself following a visit from detectives investigating the Canadian claims.
Toronto detectives alerted the Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre – now part of the NCA – to Goldberg and 34 others in Essex in July 2012 after he bought paedophile videos from a local firm.
The NCA waited until November last year to pass the file to Essex police and they only paid him a visit at the start of last month.
The force and the NCA are both now under investigation by the police watchdog.
Essex Police and Crime Commissioner Nick Alston yesterday said the teacher may not have been detectives’ “top priority.”
Mr Alston admitted something had “gone wrong” but defended his officers saying two of the 35 suspects had been charged.
“It’s not as if they were sitting doing nothing, it’s a question of priorities.”
Report By The Express (Source Link)
Latest posts by Carol Adl (see all)
- US Sent ‘Planeload Of FBI Agents’ To Iceland To Frame Assange - December 10, 2016
- US To Send 200 More Soldiers To Syria - December 10, 2016
- Congress Approves $600 Million For Israel Missile Defense - December 10, 2016