Angry protesters took to the streets of Chicago on Tuesday night following the release of a video showing disturbing footage of the death of African-American teenager Laquan McDonald.
Chicago had been preparing for protests in advance of the video’s release, which was ordered by a judge to happen no later than Wednesday.
The dashcam footage shows police officer, Jason Van Dyke, 37, open fire on McDonald, striking him 16 times and killing him.
A group of about 75 demonstrators had gathered peacefully during a press conference with Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy. “I understand people will be upset and want to protest when they see this video,” Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel told reporters during a Tuesday afternoon press conference.
Mayor Emanuel cited the McDonald family, “They have asked for calm, and for those who do protest to do so peacefully.”
“It is fine to be passionate, but it is essential to remain peaceful,” Emanuel added.
— Chicago Tribune (@chicagotribune) November 25, 2015
Protesters circled the intersection at Roosevelt and Halsted after the official release, chanting protests of “16 shots! 16 shots!” and “they left him dead.”
Demonstrators were angry that it took a year for police and prosecutors to file charges against Van Dyke.
— ABC 7 Chicago (@ABC7Chicago) November 25, 2015
Chicago police officers and state police walked alongside the protesters, who remained peaceful.
— AJ+ (@ajplus) November 25, 2015
However, clashes did happen with bike police as activists chanted, “The whole world is watching, the whole world is watching!”
Two protesters were arrested and taken into custody, and one officer was injured, according to ABC Chicago.
Later reports said three protesters had been arrested.
Latest posts by Carol Adl (see all)
- Hamas Accuses Israel Of Assassinating Senior Commander In Gaza - March 25, 2017
- DEA Approves Synthetic Marijuana For Big Pharma - March 25, 2017
- Pentagon: US Troops Will Stay In Iraq After Fight Against ISIS Ends - March 24, 2017