Scotland Yard has asked news broadcasters to refrain from showing live footage of special forces or police officials preparing to intercept any future terror siege in London to safeguard the lives of captives and armed officers.
Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe said on Thursday he was fearful that broadcasting such an event live could impede an effective police or military response.
Recent terror attacks in Sydney and Paris were characterized by rolling live coverage. But counter-terror officials in Britain fear such a scenario in the UK could result in kidnappers being pre-warned about rescue operations.
Scotland Yard held preliminary meetings with Britain’s largest broadcasters last week to discuss the risks entailed in broadcasting sensitive content in the wake of the Paris attacks.
Speaking to the Police and Crime Committee at London’s City Hall on Thursday, Hogan-Howe said it was important the public remain informed in the event of a terror attack to ensure they are safe and protected.
But he argued when the security service, police and military respond to such an event, it’s vital their efforts are not hampered by live TV coverage.
Latest posts by Carol Adl (see all)
- Trump Considers Quitting UN Human Rights Council - February 27, 2017
- Pope’s Clemency For Paedophile Priests Called Into Question After New Scandal - February 27, 2017
- Israeli Spies Enter Syrian Territory -Video - February 26, 2017