Airstrikes hit the Al-Mazrak, United Nations refugee camp in northern Yemen on Monday, killing at least 45 people.
The death toll is likely to rise as dozens more are wounded, many of whom are in critical condition, according to human rights organizations.
IBTimes report: The Houthi rebels being targeted by the Saudi Arabia-led coalition, which is bombing Houthi strongholds in Yemen, accused it of carrying out the attack. The attack was confirmed by an International Organization for Migration spokesman, by Doctors without Borders and by the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees, but it was not immediately clear who was responsible.
“There is confirmation that the camp has been hit. … We know there are dead and wounded,” the U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs told Agence France-Presse.
Thousands of internally displaced people live in the refugee camps in al-Mazrak, a city in Hajja province. The camp cluster is located just miles from Yemen’s border with Saudi Arabia. The Associated Press reported that the camp had been cleared out and was now occupied by the Houthis.
IOM spokesman Joel Millman told Reuters it was still unclear how many of the victims were civilians.
Latest posts by Carol Adl (see all)
- Two Dead, Dozens Injured As 6.7 Quake Hits Greek & Turkish Resorts - July 21, 2017
- US To Ban Citizens From Travelling To North Korea - July 21, 2017
- Xanda, Son Of Cecil The Lion, Killed By Trophy Hunter - July 20, 2017