People and buildings have been evacuated as a huge fire broke out under a busy central London street in central London.
Smoke was seen coming out of inspection covers and covering the pavement.
London Fire Brigade has called it a major incident according to reports.
It appears wiring cables under the pavement in Kingsway, Holborn had caught fire.
Holborn is on fire. Power is out all the way down to Somerset House. Drains smoking. And it’s getting worse pic.twitter.com/hfyZxeaaaJ
— lord of the files (@cruftlord) April 1, 2015
Metro reports: The fire is under the Civil Aviation Authority which has been evacuated along with part of the London School of Economics. London Fire Brigade was first notified of a fire when smoke was seen coming out of an inspection cover on the pavement. A spokesman said: ‘Police have declared a major incident and closed Kingsway at both ends. Motorists are being advised to avoid the area. ‘Six fire engines and 35 firefighters and officers are at the scene. Crews are waiting for utility companies to disconnect the power supplies before tackling to blaze.’
Ok, so that escalated quickly. Holborn properly on fire now. pic.twitter.com/vPdJR8XGvp
— Iain B (@IBwan) April 1, 2015
Latest posts by Edmondo Burr (see all)
- Schoolgirl Set Ablaze After Gang Rape Attempt In India - December 9, 2016
- Fake US Embassy Finally Shuts Down In Ghana - December 4, 2016
- Long Lasting Diamond Battery Solves Nuclear Waste Problem - December 4, 2016