The UK will ship 700 kilograms of nuclear waste in the United States under a new deal signed by Prime Minister David Cameron on Thursday.
An anonymous government source confirmed that the Prime Minister agreed the deal at a nuclear security summit in Washington and will mark the largest ever shipment of highly enriched uranium in history.
In return the U.S. will send Europe another type of nuclear waste that can be used to produce medical isotopes for cancer treatments.
“The prime minister will be announcing a landmark deal that we have agreed with the US and with (European Atomic Energy Community) Euratom,” the British government source said, on condition of anonymity.
“It is a win-win. We get rid of waste and we get back something that will help us to fight cancer.”
At the two-day summit, being attended by more than 50 world leaders, Britain and the US will also announce plans to host a joint exercise later this year to test the ability of their governments and nuclear industries to deal with a cyber attack in the civil nuclear sector.
The source said this was not in response to intelligence about a specific threat, but “prudent planning”.
Last week, Belgian newspaper DH reported suicide bombers who blew themselves up in Brussels were originally considering an attack on a nuclear site in Belgium.
Britain will also invest more than 10 million pounds ($14 million) in improving nuclear security standards worldwide and, separately, launch a scheme to help other countries strengthen their ability to withstand cyber attacks on their nuclear sectors.
Japan, South Korea, Turkey and Argentina are among those expected to be involved in that scheme, the source said.
“They have come to us and said they would like to benefit from expertise we have in this area and work with us on it,” the source said.
Latest posts by Sean Adl-Tabatabai (see all)
- Sweden Prepares For War With Russia – Citizens Told To Stockpile Emergency Supplies - January 18, 2018
- 100 Girls Testify In Court Over Rape Cover-Up Within USA Gymnastics - January 18, 2018
- Las Vegas Police Admit ‘Multiple Suspects’ Involved In Massacre - January 18, 2018