ISIS has claimed responsibility for the latest attack in Germany, saying the attacker, believed to be a Syrian refugee, was a recruit fighting for the terrorist group.
According to the Bavarian Interior Minister Joachim Herrmann, the 27-year-old Syrian suicide bomber who injured 15 people in a Sunday night attack on a music festival in Ansbach, left behind a video pledging allegiance to ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.
Herrmann also said that the unnamed man had repeatedly received psychiatric treatment, including for attempted suicide, according to ndailynews
The attacker reportedly set off a backpack laden with explosives and shrapnel after being refused entry to the festival because he didn’t have a ticket.
This was the fourth attack to shake Germany in a week
Press TV reports:
Daesh said on the Amaq news agency, which is affiliated to the group, on Monday that the 27-year-old Syrian refugee who killed himself and injured 15 people outside a café in the city of Ansbach in the German state of Bavaria a day earlier was member of the group who acted “in response to calls to target nations in the [so-called US-led] coalition fighting” the Takfiris in the Middle East.
Germany has been part of the co-called multi-national task force claiming to fight Daesh in Iraq and Syria. The coalition, which works under the leadership of the United States, has been carrying out air strikes against positions of Daesh in Syria despite objections raised by the Syrian government.
Bavarian state interior minister, Joachim Herrmann, said Monday that authorities found a video on the mobile of the Syrian attacker showing he pledged allegiance to Daesh.
“A video made by the assailant was found on his mobile phone in which he threatened an attack,” said Herrmann, adding, “After that he announced … that he pledged allegiance to (Daesh leader) Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.”
The attacker said in the video that the assault was “an act of revenge against Germans,” because of their fight against Daesh, the official added.
Officials had said earlier that the Ansbach attacker, who is yet to be identified, faced imminent deportation to Bulgaria, where he was first registered as an asylum seeker.
It was the second attack in a week in Germany for which the Daesh terrorist group claimed responsibility. Last Monday, a teenager, identified as an Afghan asylum seeker who wielded an axe and a knife, wounded four passengers on a regional train, before injuring a passerby. The asylum seeker, whom the officials said could be a Pakistani national, was killed by the police.
Meanwhile, German authorities have denied that two other attacks in the country which took place over the past days had any links to terror organizations.
The deadliest attack of all came on Friday when a teenager opened fire at people shopping at a mall in the city of Munich, killing nine and injuring more than 35 others. That was followed by another machete attack in the city of Reutlingen southwest of Germany, which led to the killing of a woman while two others were injured.
Latest posts by Niamh Harris (see all)
- France Expands Its Military Presence In Syria - May 21, 2018
- Israel Refuses To Cooperate With UN Probe Into Gaza Killings - May 20, 2018
- Chinese Nuclear Strike Bombers Land On South China Sea Islands - May 20, 2018