From the BBC website
‘Ukraine’s president has cancelled a visit to Turkey, citing “Russian troop deployments” in the country’s east.
His remarks came as pro-Russian rebels opened a new front in the south by seizing the coastal town of Novoazovsk.
Nato says it has detected a significant increase of Russian arms being supplied to the rebels over the past two weeks.
Russia has denied that its forces have crossed Ukraine’s border. At least 2,119 people have been killed in four months of fighting.
The United Nations Security Council is to hold an emergency meeting in New York on Thursday at 18:00 GMT to discuss the crisis.
Nato Brigadier General Niko Tak told the BBC that there had been a “significant escalation in the level and sophistication of Russia’s military interference in Ukraine” over the past two weeks.’
- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko says Russia has sent troops to eastern Ukraine.
- Mr Poroshenko is holding urgent talks with security officials in Kiev to consider Ukraine’s response.
- Pro-Russian rebels have seized control of Novoazovsk in the south-east, threatening to take the port of Mariupol next.
- Alexander Zakharchenko, a pro-Russian rebel leader in eastern Ukraine, said 3-4,000 Russian citizens were fighting with the rebels.
- The UN Security Council is gathering for an emergency session at which Russia is expected to face tough questions.