Lord Janner, who was recently ruled unfit to stand trial on child sexual abuse charge, has died.
The former labour peer had been suffering from dementia and his family said he died peacefully at his home on Saturday aged 87.
The peer had been accused of 22 counts of historical sex offences against boys dating back to the 1960s against nine alleged victims, the majority of whom were 16 or younger at the time.
A “trial of the facts“, which had been scheduled for April will no longer take place. A lawyer representing alleged victims said they had been denied justice.
The BBC reports:
Liz Dux, who represents six alleged victims, said: “This is devastating news for my clients. They have waited so long to see this case come before the courts, to be denied justice at the final hurdle is deeply frustrating.”
The Goddard inquiry, which is examining child sexual abuse claims, may now examine the allegations, the BBC’s Tom Symonds said.
It had set aside the case while it was being dealt with in the courts.
‘Trial of facts’
Lord Janner’s family said he would be “deeply missed” and requested their mourning be respected.
They had previously said he was a man of “great integrity” and “entirely innocent of any wrongdoing”.
Labour MP Simon Danczuk, who led calls for Lord Janner to face justice, said: “Obviously it is very sad for Lord Janner’s family that he has passed away, though it is also extremely sad for his alleged victims.”
He added: “It is disappointing that all the evidence is not now to be brought before a court.
“It is a very sad day for justice.”
Latest posts by Carol Adl (see all)
- Another Robot Breaks Investigating Fukushima’s Extreme Radiation - February 20, 2017
- Vitaly Churkin Russian Ambassador To UN ‘Dies Suddenly’ At 64 - February 20, 2017
- Iran To Host International Conference On Palestine - February 20, 2017