Find our selection of the best Indiana online sportsbooks below. You can also take a look at the best Indiana online casinos here.
In September 2019, Indiana legalized sports betting within its jurisdiction; many retail books were released the same year. In 2020, sportsbooks entered the market to provide bettors with online sports betting services.
Currently, the state has more than 10 online sportsbooks operating in it. Even though sports betting fans in Indiana had to wait four months after legalization for the first sportsbook to launch, the number of operators has grown tremendously since then.
The NFL sports betting season is one of the critical factors contributing to the growth of sportsbooks in Indiana. Unfortunately, online sportsbooks missed the season by four weeks; retail books were already operating when the NFL season started. So far, Indiana sportsbooks have proven to be more convenient for punters in the Windy City.
Indiana Sports Betting Law
Before taking part in any Indiana sports betting, it’s essential to understand the state’s critical legal guidelines surrounding this activity. Below is a breakdown of the sports betting regulations in Indiana:
- Mobile sports wagering is legal in Indiana.
- Residents and guests can register on any sportsbook in the state.
- The minimum age of registering on any sportsbook in Indiana is 21 years.
- Operators who want to provide online sportsbook services in Indiana must either have a brick and mortar casino operating in the state or a partner with one.
- The gross gaming revenue attracts a 9.5% tax.
- Punters aren’t allowed to bet on esports or underage athletes.
The Indiana Gaming Commission supervises and regulates all sports betting activities in the state. There is also the option for bettors to sign up to offshore sportsbooks as a resident of Indiana.
Apart from experiencing growing popularity for real money online sportsbooks, Indiana residents also have a strong liking for retail books. Casinos have partnered with various online operators to provide punters in Indiana with sports betting services.
Indiana Sports Betting Applications
Punters can take part in sports betting in Indiana via website platforms and mobile applications. Indiana sportsbooks provide mobile applications compatible with iOS and Android devices. Sportsbook applications have gained immense popularity due to their convenience; they’re readily available at the Google Play store and the App Store. Players using these mobile applications can enjoy the same user experience as those using the web versions.
Indiana sportsbooks have responsive website layouts and designs. Websites will automatically adjust the screen size depending on a player’s mobile device. When developing mobile applications, operators are expected to meet regulations set by the Indiana Gaming Commission.
Navigating Through Indiana Sports Betting Applications
There’s a wide variety of sportsbooks in Indiana, each with different features. When determining the reliability and functionality of the various sportsbooks, it’s essential to consider the following key features:
- Current markets: The main screen of the sportsbook should display available and future sporting events. Players should also be able to sort matches based on the ongoing events and the available bets. Some sportsbooks even sort the available markets based on significant, ongoing leagues.
- Account information: Players should be able to easily access their personal information in mobile applications. Additionally, it should display current bonus offers, loyalty milestones, and even progress towards them.
- Live betting: One key feature for betting enthusiasts is the availability of live betting. Lie betting allows Indiana bettors to wager on ongoing sporting events. The lines change in real-time based on actions in the field.
- Cashier: Clear presentation of information and data related to funds is paramount. A mobile application should also display various banking options that punters can use to fund their accounts.
- Results: A reliable sports betting application should display betting results and additional statistics. Access to statistics about current, future and even past sporting events is essential. This information gives bettors an edge when choosing the best bet.
- Promotions: Web versions of sportsbooks have a colorful display of ongoing bonuses and promotions. Before placing any bet, players should always check for these.
Apart from the above features, some sportsbook brands have cash-out betting and pari-mutuel wagering pools for greyhound and horse racing tracks.
Popular Sports in Indiana Sportsbooks
In Indiana, punters have the freedom of betting in any given sporting event except esports and events involving underage athletes. Sports options for Indiana punters range from football, basketball, hockey, soccer, and baseball to golf. Additionally, players can bet on any international sporting events that are unpopular in the US. The Indiana Gaming Commission keeps a list of legal betting activities offered by the various Indiana sportsbooks.
Some of the most popular teams frequently featured by Indiana sportsbooks include Chicago pro teams, Indianapolis Colts (NFL), College basketball and football, Notre Dame College basketball and football, Indiana Pacers (NBA), Cincinnati pro teams, and college basketball and football. However, international sporting events are also featured.
Our list of the best sportsbooks in Indiana allow you to bet on each of the following sports/events:
- NBA Betting Sites
- NFL Betting Sites
- Super Bowl Betting Sites
- NHL Betting Sites
- MLB Betting Sites
- UFC Betting Sites
- College Football Betting Sites
- March Madness Betting Sites
- Soccer Betting Sites
- Tennis Betting Sites
- Boxing Betting Sites
- NASCAR Betting Sites
- Esports Betting Sites
Indiana Sportsbook Banking Options
After downloading the sportsbook app and opening a player’s account, the next option is to fund your account. Depending on the type of sportsbook you choose you’ll have various banking options. Some of the most popular banking methods available are online bank transfers, prepaid cards, PayNearMe, e-wallets (Neteller, PayPal, and Skrill), cash (for retail sportsbooks), bank checks, and credit and debit cards
While credit and debit cards are the most convenient banking options, players can face challenges depending on the bank that provides the card. Players are encouraged to use the same method they used when depositing funds into their accounts when withdrawing. Different sportsbooks have different withdrawal and deposit methods. While most operators provide deposit services without fees, withdrawals attract different fees depending on the banking method and the sportsbook.
Wagering in Indiana Sportsbook
Indiana sports betting enthusiasts have the option of betting at retail sportsbook stores or online sportsbooks. When looking for the best online sports betting platform, it’s crucial to consider these key metrics:
- Incredible Welcome Offer, with favorable terms and conditions
- Preferred banking methods
- Best odds for your preferred sporting events
- Application store rating
- Intuitive User Interface
- Great Customer Service
- Live Streaming or Live Betting
After finding your preferred sportsbook, you can either use the web version or download the mobile app. Punters should follow the below steps to wager on any Indiana sportsbook.
- Open a player’s account on the web platform or mobile application. The sportsbook will send a confirmation email to your account to complete the registration process.
- Due to the legal jurisdiction surrounding the gambling laws in Indiana, you will be asked to verify your location. Players can only use the Indiana sportsbook while in Indiana.
- After verifying your location, it’s time to fund your account. Sportsbooks have different banking options accepting varying currencies.
With funds in your account, you can start wagering on any sporting event. Players can place either of the following sports bets: point spread, moneyline, totals, parlay, live wagering, futures, the player, and team props.
It’s best to check if there are any bonuses or promotions of which you can take advantage.
Bonuses and Promotions at Indiana Sports Betting Sites
Sports bettors in Indiana have access to various sportsbook bonuses and promotions from various sportsbooks. These promotions are available for both new and existing players. Depending on the sportsbook, each will have different wagering requirements.
Popular bonuses and promotions being run by sportsbooks in Indiana include:
- Free Bets
- Welcome Bonus
- Deposit Match
Some Indiana sportsbooks also run daily or weekly promotions for loyal players. These bonuses include prizes for betting on specific sports, odds boosts and parlay insurance.
Indiana Sportsbooks Mobile Applications
While many sports betting enthusiasts are aware of web-based betting platforms, they can also use some of the best sportsbooks mobile apps. Players have the option of downloading the Android or iOS mobile sportsbooks apps. The Android sports betting applications are suitable for most smart devices, majorly Sony, Samsung and Google. Google permitted sports betting applications on its PlayStore from March 2021. For iOS users, the sports betting applications are available on the Apple Store. Most top sportsbooks with a mobile application have been forced to meet the coding requirements of Apple. Apple announced in June 2021 that all sports betting applications available on Apple Store had to use coding, which is native to iOS instead of the standard HTML 5.
Sportsbooks mobile apps use geolocation technology to ensure the punters access the platforms from legal jurisdictions. The geolocators ensure Indiana players can only place bets when geographically located in Indiana.
Sportsbooks mobile apps come with plenty of benefits to punters.
- Provide players with maximum comfortability and convenience.
- Due to no restriction on operating hours, players get 24/7 access to the apps.
- They provide more betting opportunities compared to retail sportsbooks.
- It enhances competition among sportsbooks.
- Slights challenging for senior punters.
- It encourages social alienation.
Indiana Gambling Tax Laws
All wins from the following gambling activities are subject to tax by the state of Indiana:
- Sports betting
- Horse racing
- Table games
Winners are expected to report any winnings in cash or merchandise received from the above gambling activities. Wins are reported on the winner’s state and federal income tax returns. The federal tax on wins from gambling wins over $5,000 is 24%, while wins below the $5,000 benchmark still need to be reported.
Indiana taxes gambling wins using the personal income tax rate, which stands at 3.23%. Casinos typically keep 25% of the players’ wins for tax purposes. They only do this for a winner who provides them with Social Security numbers.
If you want to participate in sports betting in Indiana, our detailed guide gives you all the vital information needed to make a well-informed decision. Indiana sportsbooks allow sports wagering enthusiasts to access betting services 24/7 using their smart devices. With many options to pick from, it’s crucial to pick the best sportsbook that will meet your sports betting needs.
Is sports betting legal in Indiana?
Yes, sports betting was legalized in Indiana in September 2019.
Does the state of Indiana tax any sports betting wins?
The standard tax on wins is based on the 3.23% personal income tax rate. Wins over $5,000 are subject to 24% federal tax.
What is the legal age for sports wagering in Indiana?
Residents and guests are allowed to participate in Indiana sports betting activities if they have a minimum age of 21 years.
Do I need to be a resident of Indiana to take part in sports betting activities in Indiana?
No. Indiana sportsbooks’ sports wagering services are available for both residents and guests. The only requirement is to be physically present in Indiana when using these sportsbooks.
Where can I place bets on sports in Indiana?
Sports wagering in Indiana is done at online sportsbooks, racetracks, off-track betting retail facilities, and physical casinos.
Which operators can provide sports betting services in Indiana?
Brick and mortar Indiana casinos can apply for sportsbook licensing. Sports betting platforms can either partner with brick-and-mortar casinos in Indiana or set up one of their own in the state.
Which sports can I bet on at Indiana sportsbooks?
Punters can’t bet on esports and sporting events with underage participants. Still, they can wager on the following sporting events: NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB.
What sports bets can I place on the Indiana Sportsbook?
With the sportsbooks in Indiana, players can place the following popular bets: singles, parlays, moneyline, spread, total and exotic bets. The available bets depend on the sportsbook you’re using.