Despite the High Court ruling he must attend a hearing, Lord Janner has failed to appear at court to face child sex abuse charges.
The Labour peer who has dementia, had been due at Westminster Magistrates’ Court this morning.
Janners barrister, Paul Ozin QCH has been appealing for him to appear via a video link from his home, police station or court, but the court has ruled this as unlawful
The BBC report:
Mr Ozin added: “There is evidence that moving him carries with it a risk of an adverse reaction to him or other harm.”
If it was not possible for the link to be done from his home, a live link could also be carried out from within a court building or a police station, Mr Ozin said.
But prosecutor Louise Oakley said live links were only permitted for giving evidence from police stations when someone was in custody – which Lord Janner is not.
She suggested the peer could appear at Wood Green Crown Court instead, a court closer to his home.
Deputy chief magistrate, Emma Arbuthnot, said she had been in touch with the court and it would be possible for Lord Janner to use a back entrance to attend a hearing there.
The case has been adjourned while the options are considered.
Latest posts by Carol Adl (see all)
- US Navy Fighter Jet From Carl Vinson Carrier Crashes Off The Philippines - April 21, 2017
- Former Iraqi Army Chief Of Staff To Prosecute Tony Blair - April 21, 2017
- Assad Vows To Fight The Turkish Army If It Refuses To Leave Syria - April 21, 2017