Turkish authorities blocked access to Twitter, YouTube and briefly to Facebook over the publication of photos of the prosecutor taken hostage and killed by militants in Istanbul last week.
Turkey’s presidential spokesman Ibrahim Kalin said a prosecutor sought the ban on social media after the photos’ release.
“This has to do with the publishing of the prosecutor’s picture. What happened in the aftermath (of the prosecutor’s killing) is as grim as the incident itself,” he said, Reuters reports.
“The demand from the prosecutor’s office is that this image not be used anywhere in electronic platforms,” Kalin told a news conference in Ankara.
The ban was implemented by a number of the country’s leading ISPs on Monday afternoon, the Internet Service Providers Union (ESB) Secretary General Bülent Kent told the Hurriyet Daily News.
All service providers are expected to implement the ban soon, he said.
Latest posts by Carol Adl (see all)
- Iran Test-Fires New Ballistic Missile - September 23, 2017
- US Flies Nuclear Capable B1-B Bombers Just Off Coast Of North Korea - September 23, 2017
- 5.7 Magnitude Earthquake Strikes Off North California Coast - September 22, 2017