All British nationals are being urged to leave Tunisia because according to Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond another terrorist attack is highly likely.
Although Hammond said there was no suggestion of an “imminent threat” some travel firms say they are repatriating their own staff from Tunisia.
The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) is advising against all non-essential travel there.
According to the BBC:
The FCO said that although the Tunisian authorities have put in place more security measures, these do not “provide adequate protection for British tourists”.
It said in its updated advice that tour operators were arranging additional flights back to the UK.
Britons are urged to get in touch with their tour operators to plan their return, with those travelling independently advised to return on commercial flights.
Tunisia declared a state of emergency after the 26 June attack. Plans to build a wall along its border with Libya to counter the threat from militants were announced earlier this week
Mr Hammond said: “While we do not have any information suggesting a specific or imminent threat, since the attack in Sousse the intelligence and threat picture has developed considerably, leading us to the view that a further terrorist attack is highly likely.”
He went on: “The Tunisian investigation into those behind the Sousse attack, and that on the Bardo Museum earlier this year, is on-going and the Tunisians have made clear they want to track down further individuals who they suspect may have links to this attack.
“Furthermore, we have now completed an assessment of the security measures in tourist areas and while we are working with the Tunisian authorities to further strengthen those measures, we judge that more work is needed to effectively protect tourists from the terrorist threat.
“Taking all these factors together, we judge that it is right and prudent to make this change today.”
The Association of British Travel Agents said those due to travel to Tunisia should contact the company they booked through.
Travelling to Tunisia now would be likely to invalidate travel insurance policies, but most policies will provide cover for those currently in the country, it added.
A spokesman said: “Those with holidays booked within the next 48 hours to Tunisia are advised to contact your travel company to discuss available options. If you have booked a package you will be entitled to a refund or alternative holiday.”
The association said that very low numbers of British tourists were currently in Tunisia, following the Sousse attack; 25,000 are usually expected at this time of year.
Latest posts by Carol Adl (see all)
- Trump Says CIA Chief Might Have Leaked ‘Fake News’ Against Him - January 16, 2017
- Study Confirms Humans Really Are Made Of Star Dust - January 16, 2017
- As NHS Crisis Worsens Hospitals Across UK Declare ‘Black Alert’ - January 15, 2017